For the next entry in my series of proposed outings, I present the Bear River!
The total length of this planned route is about 12 miles from Walloon Lake to the bend just before the river enters Petoskey proper. There are a few things to keep in mind about this proposed route, and I need to try and research them before I get there in July!
- Bear River, Michigan Pointers:
- Overall Journey Length should be about 12 miles.
- This distance should be manageable since it will be with the current.
- From the internet it is unclear if the Bear River is navigable by kayak over its entire length. 24k topo maps don’t do much to clarify this either.
- It’s also unclear what type of boat traffic I might have to share the river with in the summer.
- Regardless of the level of boat traffic an early start is warranted.
- I plan to get fished out before entering Petoskey because it is more likely there will be an open area to knock down the Cooper.
- The other reason for not paddling to the mouth of the Bear River is that area has some Class II/Class III rapids. The Folbot Cooper is a very capable sea kayak, but at 16’6″ it is unsuited for that type of use!